December 12, 2008

Tidings...



Venus, Jupiter, Moon - 29th November, 2008
Today, at least in my geographical location (12th December, 2008), marks six months since the day that my world ended and everything took a turn for the worse. It has not been easy, nor has it been fun, and it does not seem as though it ever will be. But we are still here, and I am told that as long as we keep it this way, things will one day change and it will begin to hurt a little less. So this is how we will keep it for now…
I realise it has been a while since we have brought you tidings from the kitchen of Team Pretty Bake. This is not because we have been idle, but rather, we have become somewhat engrossed in plans for Christmas baking. I will not give too much away so that we may leave some surprises for those who will be receiving our hamperly gifts this Christmas, but I thought I would offer a few snippets of temptation.
Over the last few weeks Miss Rose has gone a little preserve-crazy, and as such, many jams, relishes, chutneys and preserves will feature in this years Christmas list. On the relish agenda was a couple of onion numbers which we thought wise to complete in an evening. So what, you may ask, results from six kilos of onions? Quite simply, a whole world of pain filled with tears and requisite sinus replacement therapy. While I worked on the theory of desensitisation through over-exposure, Miss Rose was prepared to sacrifice a little dignity in an attempt to save her membranes…


Oh the things we do for those we love.
What did ultimately result from six kilos of onions was one and a half litres of caramely-oniony-goodness that we are hoping will mature over the next few weeks into a delicious accompaniment to your festive meats.


And in a half-hearted attempt at getting into the spirit of things (I, for one, will be skipping the festive cheer this year), we did take a moment to construct some appropriately Yule-tide creations.


So as the neighbours sit about consuming Dasher and Dancer, Prancer and Vixen, Comet and Cupid, Donner and Blitzen, Rudolph, and what are presumably the three reserves should any of the aforementioned fall ill and for whom I am not inclined to invent comically hilarious and inappropriate titles; Team Pretty Bake is in preparation for their second country excursion in search of fruit…


Neigh!

3 comments:

Miss Rose said...

A yield of only 25%...damn those onions!Damn them to hell! All of that pain for a fleeting moment of blissful savoury sweetness to be relished with a big thick sausage or a tasty slab of meat. I must say I am a huge fan of sausage. I have washed my hair twice since the late night onion fiasco. I still smell like onion.

pinknantucket said...

Those cupcakes are super cute!!!

pinknantucket said...

Super SUPER cute!!!