October 25, 2009

Sacrificing dignity...


Today saw the occasion of the annual Cystic Fibrosis Victoria Great Strides Walkathon. Thanks to the immense and humbling generosity of many of you, I was able to raise $1450. Therefore, as promised…

Mmm… fancy!
Thankfully the weather held out so a pleasant day was had by all and sundry. My competition didn’t quite eventuate (a fast ball to the sternum the day before, apparently; weak if you ask me…), and mercifully the pack of six year-olds who had been pacing me from the start dropped off after about two km’s so the plotting of their demise so to avoid complete humiliation was not required. Some apron modifications were required to adapt to a sportier version, and despite the material impediments, I managed the full 6 km with usual cadence, and according to the unofficial match day statistician (no bias, naturally) came in around fourth of the lady runners, which I suppose isn’t too shabby.

Team Rogerson – CFV Great Strides Walkathon, 2009
Thanks to those who came along to witness the execution of indignity and who made their own personal great strides, and an extra special thanks to all of you who supported me, our families and the CF community with your immeasurable kindness. The gauntlets of challenge have already been thrown for next year, so I must now work on making my sub-six-minute km’s sub-five-minute, and refine my skills of sabotage and verbal mockery. Then there’s always the question of what to wear…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry we were late in getting our donation in Em. Congratulations!! Not only did you well exceed your goal (by half again what you had aimed for), but I don't know anyone else who could have pulled off an apron like that with such style and grace. Hope your well and we both look forward to seeing you when we get back - not long now!! All our love W&S