May 30, 2010

Sunday comforts...


Before I get to today's kitchen business I have an apology to make.

Last weekend, mum celebrated a significant birthday milestone, and once again I had the honour of baking the celebratory centerpiece. A little disappointment was expressed that said 'cake' had not made the blog, and so without further ado...




Happy birthday mum!


 As for today, Miss Rose and I had both had a hankering for beef Wellington, and since there's little more enjoyable than a late Sunday lunch featuring roasted goodness, we thought this would be a most suitable occasion indeed.
Having gone a little out of fashion, presumably for being a bit too old-time kitsch, beef Wellington is like the ultimate sausage roll. First you make a mushroom duxelles...

Sear off a beautiful piece of eye fillet, smother it in duxelles and wrap it in prosciutto...


 Cover it in pastry...


 And then wack it in the oven until gloriously golden brown...
 Jeffrey, apparently...
 Served with some delicious roasted vegetables...
 Did somebody say OCD?...
 And some Brussels sprouts with chestnuts and bacon... 

And that's what I'd call a perfect Sunday lunch...
Actually, what would make it truly perfect would be finishing it off with something sweet. And since tradition was the order of the day, some pears were roasted and a pudding was steamed...


And the day was brought to a close with a most glorious pear and ginger pudding...




Yep, comforting...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum, yum, yum. You're a domestic goddess!!!

Anonymous said...

Did I say that your trip to the pork farm reminded me of my hero Hugh at River Cottage. I really want to be Mrs Hugh and live in the cool, green northern hemisphere. I can lend you my 10 disc dvd set when I can bear to part with them.

Miss Emily said...

Welcome Aunty L! Rodney at the Agrarian is also a big Hugh fan, hence what they do. You'd love them as well. Would thoroughly enjoy borrowing Hugh whenever you're ready...
x Miss Em

Madame Bonbon said...

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I have always wanted to try Beef Wellington and you've made it seem so easy. It's a perfect winter meal.
Best wishes,
Madame Bonbon

Miss Emily said...

Hi Madame B.
So glad we've inspired you to give the Wellington a go; definitely worth the bit of extra effort!
Good luck, and enjoy!
Miss Emily